A Guide to Washing Machines
Though washers and dryers are an investment, with all the different types of washing machines and the many features they offer, the time and effort they save definitely make them worthwhile. This guide helps make it easier to choose a washing machine, based on your requirement.
Types of Washing Machines
There are three types of washing machines to choose from. The comparison below highlights the features of these types.
- A few semi-automatic washing machines have a single tub and feature only wash functions
- A few high-end, front-load washing machines have dedicated dryers
- Consumes comparatively less water and energy
- Doesn’t require continuous water supply
- Water can be poured in manually
- Clothes are washed fast over shorter washing cycles
- Cheaper than a fully-automatic washing machine
|Description||Agitators are spindles with fins that twist and turn.||Impellers make currents so the system doesn’t touch clothes.|
- Many wash programmes
- Better wash quality than semi-automatic washing machines
- Doesn’t require any manual intervention
- Most models have built-in heaters for hot wash options
- Less space consuming
Top Loading Washing Machine
- Ergonomics – no need to bend to load or unload the machine
- Inexpensive when compared to front-loading washing machines
- Usually lighter in weight and more mobile
- Clothes can be added even after the washing process has started
|Description||Pulsators are rotating hubs at the centre of tub’s bottom|
Front Load Washing Machine
- Excellent wash quality
- Has more wash programs
- Built-in heater for hot wash options
- Better for washing delicate clothes
- Variable spin speeds to suit the material of the clothes for quicker drying time
|Description||Tumble washers rotate the wash tub to clean clothes.|
Most manufacturers suggest loading the drum to 75% capacity for best results. Do not overload the washing machine – it will not run.
Weight guide to measure capacity
Quick Wash programs finish a washing cycle faster than ordinary wash cycles. The time taken depends on the load.
This feature automatically chooses the best washing conditions, depending on the quantity of the load. It detects the weight of the laundry and then determines the time, water and detergent required. Depending on the manufacturer, different combinations of sensors and settings are used to give the machine better control over the wash.
This feature allows you to start the machine at a predetermined time. For instance, if you want to wash clothes in the afternoon but you’re leaving for work in the morning, use the Delay Start feature and set the number of hours you’d like to delay the start of the program by. The wash program you choose will start at a later time. This feature allows a delay of up to 23 hours.
This program transmits steam, using heat and humidity to remove tough stains from clothes for an odour-free wash.